This renowned house, which is much-loved by the villagers, has lately celebrated its 100th birthday, and the owners remember a long and eventful history subdivided into two periods: the "Trattoria alle capanne" and the "Sonnklarhof".
At the beginning of the 16th century, in the "hut's zone" of Ridanna on the old mineral transportation road, there was the "trattoria alle capanne", later denominated "Allo Stambecco" (at the ibex). In 1726, it became the property of the Seeber-Hochrainer-Klotz family. Felix Seeber of the "trattoria Pesce" (the eating house "Fish") in Mules can be cited as the progenitor of this generation of restaurateurs, even if he did not personally own the "trattoria alle capanne" in Ridanna. The first restaurateur of the house to all intents and purposes was his son, Andree. He bought the trattoria from Matthias Haller, who had many debts at the time. Of the twelve children Andree's wife Maria Schubpartin bore him, only four became adults. After Andree Seeber's death, the trattoria was run by his son Matthias. The trattoria offered food, drinks, accommodations, and stables for the horses. Matthias Seeber, who had been its owner for only four years, died childless in 1773. The sisters who outlived him nominated Elisabeth Seeber, widow Hochrainer, as the heiress to the trattoria "zur Hütten" (at the hut). She ran the house until 1777; her successor was one of her sons, Anton Hochrainer, who married the young Barbara Atzwanger, the daughter of the restaurateur of the hotel "Al Sole" (to the sun) from Vipiteno. Anton died in 1786, aged 44, and his widow Barbara ran the inn until 1821. After her death, the son Josef inherited the running of the trattoria from his parents, but he ran it only for two years and his brother Ignaz succeeded him. The latter rose to fame in 1809, the same year Tyrol was liberated, when he was involved in the war. The French imprisoned him amongst others and it was thanks to him that Vipiteno was not set on fire. Ignaz Hochrainer died in 1843. His daughter Elisabeth, who married Johann Klotz from the "Prischerhof" in Mareit, a famous farmer's doctor, inherited the inn in Ridanna. After his wife's death, the latter ran the inn until 1873. His son Leopold succeeded him and from 1881 onwards the inn was run by his sister Anna Klotz. She changed the name of the inn into "Trattoria allo Stambecco"; in 1886 she married Stefan Maller from Mareit. In 1920, the running of the inn as "the Stambecco" was ceased.
When the mountain huts were built - the Becherhaus hut, just to mention one of them - the era of mountaineering began in Ridanna. Stefan Haller recognized the sign of the times and laid the foundation stone for the Sonklarhof, which he finished and inaugurated after two years, in 1894. Since the new construction immediately seemed to be too small, the following year Haller built a dining room and a small block with 20 rooms. The house was only open during summer and was constantly occupied by 17 alpine guides. It offered 80 beds in the Sonklarhof, 20 beds in the tourist house, and 10 more beds in the hotel "Steinbock". At the time, the price for full pension per person with a permanence of at least four days was of six to seven crowns. The trattoria became very prestigious with the passing of time and soon had a power station of its own. The mail, phone, and a small dispatch were integrated in the structure, which was already renowned for its good cuisine. The emperor's day, August 18th, was celebrated in a particular way. After Stefan Haller's death in 1915, his daughter Elisabeth took over the inn. She married Anton Klotz, Kalchwirt's son, owner of the homonymous tavern on the "strada del Giovo" (Giovo street). Up to the First World War, the business was very profitable, but during the war and the succeeding years between the two wars it went worse and worse. Anton Klotz died seventeen years after his wife Elisabeth. He left the house as it was. His daughter Elisabeth Klotz, who had been married to Felix Leider from Racines since 1954, began to renovate the paternal house in the succeeding years. Some rooms were equipped with heating in order to be used during the winter months as well. The most radical renovations followed in 1974. Every room was equipped with a bathroom and shower; then, the indoor swimming pool and the tennis courts were built. The dining room, which used to be cold, was completely renovated, and together with the eight rooms above the indoor swimming pool, the house had 52 rooms with approximately 90 beds at the time. The dispatch was ceased.
Nowadays, the Sonklarhof has the most modern equipments like the outdoor swimming pool, the sauna, the massage unit, the fitness centre, and the reading room, so that the guests feel at their ease every inch. These days, our renowned house is mostly visited by German guests, but also by Italians and tourists from other European countries. Many guests like to come back - even more than once a year. Since 1984/85 the business has been run by the son Helmut. Together with his wife Angelika he will carry on Ridanna's hotel tradition dating back to 400 years, which also includes a farm.